Trash & Recycling
from 9 am to 3 pm - Monday through Friday
Schedule Changes Because of Holidays
If your trash is normally collected on:
|Holiday||Regular Trash Day||Pick up|
|New Year’s Day Observed||January 2||Tuesday January 3|
|Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day||Monday||Tuesday|
|Veterans Day||November 11||November 12 or Monday after the holiday|
|Christmas Day Observed||December 26||Tuesday December 27|
Trash cans should not be more than 45 gallons and must have a detached lid. Trash in can should weigh no more than 65 pounds. The bags should not weigh more than 50 pounds. Trash should be placed on the curb after 6 pm on the previous day. No more than 5 pieces of trash at one time – including 1 piece of furniture.
Frequent Questions of How to Dispose of Specific Items
- Construction Debris will not be collected. For small amounts of debris, dumpsters will be available on the first Saturday of the February, May, August and November from 8 to 12 noon at the Public Works building on 16 Buddtown Road. For large amounts, the home owner must get a dumpster to dispose of debris or make arrangements to take to the Burlington County Landfill in Columbus. Call (609) 499-1001 for hours of operation.
- Brush and Branch Removal – Pick up only during the months of April, June and October. Please call the office at (609) 859-2736 to schedule pick up during those months. Place at the curb, all cut ends in the same direction, 4-5 foot lengths with no dirt on them. The pile should not be larger than 4 foot by 4 foot by 5 foot. Township will not take any brush or branches cut by a contractor. Large amounts of brush will not be picked up by the Township and disposal is the owner’s responsibility.
- Leaf Collection – Backyard composting is highly recommended. Southampton Township provides curb-side service for leaf collection from November 1 through February 28. Leaves must be bagged and not weigh more than 50 lbs and no more than 15 bags per collection. We will not pick up bags containing sticks, bottles, dirt, roots, etc. After February 28, you will need to dispose of leaves by composting.
- Grass Clippings – You will need to mulch or create a compost pile on your site or take to the Burlington Recycling Center in Columbus.
- As of January 1, 2011, microwaves, televisions and computers, including laptops and monitors have been banned from all landfills and incinerators in NJ. These can be taken to the Burlington County Landfill Weigh House, 22000 Burlington-Columbus Road, Florence, NJ (609) 499-1001.
- Batteries – A, C, D & E types are no longer hazardous and can be put in with your regular trash. Other batteries (nickel-cadmium, lithium, mercury, zinc, lead acid) need to be handled as hazardous waste (example: rechargeable & button style) and must be taken to the Burlington County Resource Center or wait until Clean Up Day/Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off in the spring or fall.
- Florescent Bulbs – 4 foot – $1.00 per bulb, 8 foot – $2.00 per bulb. (Pay Clerk’s Office first, then drop off at the Public Works Building – show receipt with payment.)
- Furniture such as mattresses, box springs, small cabinet – can be put out with regular trash but there is a limit of one item per trash pick up and the furniture cannot contain metal. Mattresses and box springs must be wrapped in plastic or they will not be picked up.
- Carpet/Flooring – Carpet/Flooring will not be collected. For small amounts of carpeting/flooring, dumpsters will be available on the first Saturday of the February, May, August and November from 8 to 12 noon at the Public Works building on 16 Buddtown Road. For large amounts, the home owner must get a dumpster to dispose of carpet/flooring or make arrangements to take it to the Burlington County Landfill in Columbus. Call (609) 499-1001 for hours of operation.
- Clean Up Day/Household Hazardous Waste Drop Off in the Township is twice a year – once in the spring and once in the fall. You may also take material to the Burlington County facility. Call (609) 499-5200 for hours of operation. For latex paint that is dried up – take lid off and leave next to trash on trash day.
- Tires – no more than 4 tires at one time. Car tires (without rims) are $10.00 each. Truck tires (without rims) are $15.00 each. Pay Township Clerk then deliver the tires to 16 Buddtown Road – Monday through Friday 9 am to 3 pm.
- Prescriptions – Opioids can only be dropped off at the State Police Facility on Route 206. Other prescriptions can be disposed of by dropping them off at Hometown Pharmacy located at 1805 Route 206, Southampton, NJ 08088 (609) 859-5633.
- As of September 1, 2020, the township will no longer pick up appliances. Disposal is the owner’s responsibility or you can take to the Burlington County Landfill Weigh House, 22000 Burlington-Columbus Road, Florence, NJ (609) 499-1001. If you need more information call the Township office at (609) 859-2736.
Southampton Township uses the services of the Burlington County Office of Waste Management for all recycling. For more information, contact the Clerks Office, (609) 859-2736 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Click here to view the Recycling Brochure
A helpful video on recycling cardboard
Things to Remember:
DO NOT recycle plastic bags, bottle caps or shredded paper as they jam up sorting equipment. DO NOT recycle batteries, scrap metal, wood blocks, hoses, aerosol cans of paint and lubricants, or jugs of motor oil as these items damage recycling equipment.
It is illegal to put recyclables in with your trash.
In the event of windy days, snow or ice storms please consider holding onto recyclables until the next collection or take them to the municipal drop off center. The more you recycle, the lower our tipping fee costs are at the landfill, which keeps our trash costs and taxes down.
For more information on county recycling, you can visit Burlington County Recycling
To discover what happens to your recyclables when they leave your curb please click on the following link: Virtual Tour of Recycling Facility