Trash & Recycling
Schedule Changes Because of Holidays
If your trash collection day falls on a holiday, your trash will be picked up the next working day.
If your trash is normally picked up on a Monday and it is a holiday, it will be picked up on Tuesday along with Tuesday’s normal trash collection.
If your trash is normally picked up on a Friday and it is a holiday, it will be picked up on Monday along with Monday’s normal trash collection.
Public Works does not work on Election Day in November. Therefore, trash that is normally collected that Tuesday will be collected on Wednesday along with Wednesday’s normal trash collection.
Public works does work the day after Thanksgiving (even though other Township offices are closed). Therefore, trash that is normally collected on Thursday will be collected on Friday along with Friday’s normal trash collection.
Please note that New Year’s Day, Veteran’s Day and Christmas are celebrated on the date they actually fall on, which might differ from Monday or Friday, so the general rule applies: collection is the next working day along with that day’s normal collection.Please note the following changes for disposal of dishwashers and leaves: There is a charge for the Public Works Department to remove appliances. Dishwashers have now been added to that list. As for all appliances, they must be placed at the curb and $10 per appliance must be received by the Township Clerk prior to removal by the Public Works Department. If you have any questions, please call 609-859-2736, Ext. 0. Please note the schedule for removal of leaves. November 1st to March 31st – please place bagged leaves to the curb. They should be kept separate from your regular trash. Starting April 1st to October 31st, you may place 1 or 2 bags of leaves to the curb at a time. Please keep them separate from your trash. However, you must call the Township Clerk’s Office at 609-859-2736, Ext 0 for a special pickup.
Frequent Questions of How to Dispose of Specific Items
- Grass Clippings – should be put in a plastic bag and can be put to the curb with regular trash.
- Leaf Collection – Fall and Spring 11/01 to 3/31. BAGS ONLY. KEEP SEPARATE FROM REGULAR TRASH. DO NOT RAKE TO CURB. April 1st to October 31st, place 1 or 2 bags of leaves to the curb. Keep separate from regular trash. Call the Township Clerk’s Office at 609-859-2736, Ext. 0 for a special pickup. Township will not take any leaves put to the curb by contractor. Flyer with more information.
- Brush and Branch Removal – Place at curb, all cut ends in the same direction,
- 4-5 ft. lengths with no dirt on them. Branches must be placed in front of the resident’s home and not on any Township–owned property. Township will not take any brush or branches cut by a contractor.
- Please have all your branches and brush out for pickup on the first of every month. The Public Works Department will drive every road in the entire town once a month to pick them up. We ask that you please be patient. It may take 2 or more weeks to pickup depending on how much each area of the township may have out. After the branches and brush are picked up, Public Works will not be back until the following month. We ask that you please do not call the township to reference any pickup. If a storm comes through, we will try to make appropriate adjustments to make sure the branches and brush are removed promptly.
- Appliance Pickup – $10.00 per appliance. Pay Township Clerk first.
- Appliance should be put to curb (washer, dryer, stove, refrigerator, dishwasher, freezer, air conditioner, hot water heater). Refrigerators and freezers most have the doors removed.
- Furniture can be put out with regular trash. The limit is 1 piece at one time.
- Carpet and House Clean Outs – Carpet: Cut up into 5-6 foot lengths, tie up and put to curb on trash day. Pay Township Clerk before trash day. House Clean Outs: Call Township Clerk (609-859-2736).
- Construction debris will be considered bulk pickup. Call Township Clerk –(609-859-2736) – there may be a charge.
- Propane tanks – pay Township Clerk first ($15.00 per tank), then leave at curb.
- Items that can be put out with regular trash: mattresses, box springs, microwaves, doors (exterior doors and interiors including shower doors), windows, and other items of that nature. If you aren’t sure, call Township Clerk – (609-859-2736).
- Hazardous Waste Day is twice a year – once in the spring and once in the fall. If you can’t wait, you may take to County facility. Call 609-499-5200 for days and hours. Latex paint that is dried up – take lid off and leave next to trash on trash day.
- Tires – car tires (with or without rims) is $5.00. Truck tires (with or without rims) is $10.00. Pay Township Clerk then leave at curb. Prices subject to change. No charge for small donut tires or lawnmower tires, etc.
- Problem with stray or nuisance animals? Call Township Clerk – 609-859-2736.
- Car batteries – put out on trash day.
- As of January 1, 2011, televisions and computers, including laptops and monitors have been banned from all landfills and incinerators in NJ. Can take to Burlington County Resource Recovery Complex, Rt. 543, Florence, NJ (609-499-5300). Dropoff is open Mon. thru Fri. 7:30 am to 4:30 pm, Sat. 7:30 am to 1:30 pm. Goodwill donation centers is one location that will also accept electronic equipment.
- Batteries – A, C, D & E types are no longer hazardous and can be put in with your regular trash. Other batteries (nickel-cadmium, lithium, mercury, zinc, lead acid) need to be handled as hazardous waste (example: rechargeable & button style). Container for these batteries in foyer at Township Building.
- Prescriptions can be disposed of by dropping them off at Home Town Pharmacy located at 1805 Route 206 , Southampton, NJ 08088 (609)859-5633.
Southampton Township uses the services of the Burlington County Office of Waste Management for all recycling.
For a list of recycling curbside pick up dates and instructions, please click on the links below.
Curbside Collection Dates for 2016:Jan. 4, 18 July 5, 18Feb. 1, 15, 29 August 1, 15, 29March 14, 28 Sept. 12, 26April 11, 25 Oct. 10, 24May 9, 23 Nov. 7, 21June 6, 20 Dec. 5, 19Latest Flyer
Things to Remember:
DO NOT recycle plastic bags or bottle caps. They jam up sorting equipment. DO NOT recycle shredded paper either.
It is illegal to put recyclables in with your trash.
In the event of windy days, snow or ice storms please consider holding onto recyclables until the next collection or them to the municipal drop off center.
The more you recycle, the lower our tipping fee costs are at the landfill, which keeps our trash costs and taxes down.
For more information on county events, you can visit www.co.burlington.nj.us.
The “Recycling Bin” – Tips to Recycle More
Goodwill is looking for old vinyl banners. Disabled clients make tote bags out of the banners. They can be donated to any Goodwill Center, but should be marked, “Deliver to Goodwill’s Outsourcing Center.”
Hard Cover Books
Goodwill now accepts hardback books (with the exception of encyclopedias) at all of their stores.
For more information, contact JoAnne Barton, the Recycling Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.